Page 2 Timely Passions
Page 2
The Old Passions
of an Old Clock Collector

The what, when, where, and why
of a museum's collection and its curator

In 1980 I opened a little clock shop called "Little Ol' Clock Shop in Coos Bay, Oregon. At that time I removed my private collection of antique clocks to my little shop located inside the Moe's Golden Storehouse. Mo, who was the founder and owner of Mo's Seafood Restaurants, had seen my collection, and she had a vacant little school house looking shop that was vacant. She thought it would be interesting to her customers if they could look inside the little shop and see my collection. The shop was not going to be open to the public, and she offered me free rent if I would be willing to display my clocks. At once I started moving my clocks into the little school house. At night after work, I would go down to the little shop and work on my clocks.

The Little OL' Clock Shop inside
of Moe's Golden Store House
in Coos Bay, Oregon ~ 1979

One Sunday, I was off work so I was at my little shop, just minding my own business, just being the little clockmaker working on his clocks, behind his little clockmaker's work bench, using is clockmaker tools, and really enjoying myself, when a man started knocking on my window. I went to the door and told him through the glass window, that the shop was not open. I explained that it was just a display. He said that he understood, but he noticed an old clock and wondered if he could just take a look at it. So, being a friendly clockmaker, and collector, or collector and clockmaker, I agreed to let him in. He looked at the clock and then asked me what I would take for it. I had just purchased the clock the day before from a friend for $125 and I was still in love with it. When a collector just gets a new item for his collection, there is kind of a Honeymoon with that item and during that time, he does not want to sell it for any amount of money. He love it and wants to keep it for the rest of his life. So I told him it was not for sale. He then said that he would give me one thousand dollars for it. All of a sudden, I saw $ $ $ $ $ $ flash before my eyes and the Honeymoon was over. After he left with his new clock, and his big smile, and happy eyes, I started thinking. If I bought it this morning for $175 and sold it three house later for $1,000, that was a profit of $825, or $275 an hour, so that could be $2,475 a day for an Eight hour day, or $19,800 a week. WOW! that would be $85,140 a month. That meant it was only going to take one year for me to be a Millionaire! I was going to get rich.

Well, sad to say, that man was from out of state, he never came back, I never saw him again, and I never sold another clock two hours after I bought if and made $825, and needless to say, I never got rich.

A few months later, I closed my shop, licked my wounds, moved to Eugene, Oregon and got a job selling Cadillacs. Now I had my clock collectiion, and was working everyday with something else I loved. Cars! nice cars. Lots of nice cars, and I was happy with my clock collection and selling new and used cars, until 1984. Now for the rest of the story.

My first real car was a 1940 Cadillac, that I was able to purchased for
$20, because it had no radiator. That was in 1959, when I was already 15 years
old. It was at this time I became a General (in Ham Radio that is).

<   Page 1       Page 2       Page 3   >

The Old Conger Street Clock Museum

Time Capsule       Old Passions Keep Ticking